The language and cultural awareness scheme Ár dTeanga Chomhroinnte, or Our Shared Language, is coordinated by Conradh na Gaeilge and explores the origin, evolution, and development of the Irish language. The scheme is funded and supported by the Executive Office. It was in high demand in schools in the north again this year.
This is the third year of this informative campaign. The scheme helps children and communities investigate the links between:
- local place names and the Irish language;
- surnames and the Irish language;
- the links between Irish, French and Latin; and
- the influence of Irish on our spoken English and the Irish language in today’s modern world.
Conradh na Gaeilge is running the scheme again this year.
You can download the scheme's handbook Ár dTeanga Chomhroinnte: The Origin, Evolution and Development of the Irish Language here.
School visits under the last round of the scheme began in primary and post-primary schools in December 2016 and continued until the end of March 2017. The scheme focuses on youth clubs as well as schools.
Conradh na Gaeilge is now starting the third round of the scheme.
Seó Bóthair Roadshow
The scheme also includes a roadshow known as an Seó Bóthair held in each county. The roadshow features language learning classes for all levels and bilingual talks on Irish heritage and culture. There are more roadshows planned for the coming months and the ones we hosted to date this year include:
- Seó Bóthair Ard Mhacha in the Athletic Grounds in Armagh (21 January 2017)
- Seó Bóthair an Iúir in Gaeláras Mhic Ardgháil in Newry (28 January 2017)
- A special Seó Bóthair for schools in Stormont, Belfast, Co. Antrim (14 March 2017)
- Seó Bóthair Latharna in Market Close, Larne, Co. Antrim (28 March 2017)
- Seó Bóthair na hÓmaí and language course in association with the Michaela Foundation in the Dún Uladh Cultural Centre in Omagh, Co. Tyrone (1 April 2017)
- Seó Bóthair an Iúir in Gaeláras Mhic Ardgháil in Newry (25 November 2017)
The Seó Bóthair roadshow itself is free and includes lunch.